Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Looking Into My Past

Did you ever make one of those time capsule things when you were a kid? I always wanted to. I imagined collecting a whole bunch of different things--pictures, momentos, lists of my favourite songs and movies and games, who my friends were, who I was--and burying it in a box in my yard. Of course, I never got around to actually doing it.

I keep several small decorated wooden boxes on my desk, for tucking stuff into when I want to keep it but don't want to think about where to put them at that moment. I used to use them a lot more when I was in university a few years back, for keepsakes. Now they dutifully serve as bookends for my collection of Nintendo games (Nindendo-ends?).

Fast forward to yesterday, when I decided I really wanted to find an old necklace to wear. Thinking I may have stashed it in one of the boxes during a recent move, I started going through them.

It was really, really weird. As if I were looking back on myself as I was 4 years ago.

Paper stars. Love notes from an old boyfriend. A grocery list. Photographs. Half a loose-leaf diary entry. Movie stubs. Tickets from a visit to the AGO. A souvenier magnet. An old skeleton key (as cliche as that is; it was a gift from a friend, who picked it up at a lawn sale of sorts in rural France, of all places). An old ring.

Of course, my necklace wasn't there.

No comments:

Post a Comment